Sunday, July 20, 2008

Goodbye Gates!

Bill Gates is one of my favourite persons anyway. It's a little wonder for me to see him getting retired from Microsoft. Many people considers him as one of the most important person in ICT sector. Yes, that may not be an overstatement. Well, Bill is gone, and so as Windows from my everyday pc schedule. In fact I have been using Microsoft Windows since 1997. Remember, they had a version called Windows 97 ®, hmm... I bet you have a sharp memory. Anyways, as you can see, I have been using the pirated version of Windows for ten long years! A very experienced pirate indeed :D


Enough of talking for nothing. Let's share a little experience.

I have been taking my introductory course in Java from May 2008. So, it's time for me to get Object Oriented! No wonder, I have been dreaming about big Os in my dreams. We are actually using NetBeans IDE 3.6 in our University lab. But it's a pity that we're using that in Windows XP. Meanwhile, I have used all my expertise to get free DVD of NetBeans 6.1 in the meantime. And Me too, was running that in Windows. So, I finally decided, enough is enough. Let's start it in Linux.


I didn't actually had to install NetBeans in Linux to run a Java Program, as I already had an JDK installed in my Ubuntu 8.04. So I was happy coding with text editor and running it from Terminal, yup the place where you don't have to wait for bus to arrive! In fact, my all writing, no clicking was going smoothly. That was until I found that JoptionPane is not working in Ubuntu. As they say, naah...I don't like Linux, it's too complicated. Ya, I say, for complicated people like you! Anyway, I went to ubuntufourms and found out an straightforward solution of my problem. Here it goes.


Step 1: Go to Terminal, type sudo update-alternatives --config java

Step 2: Install the latest SDK from sun. In this case it was java-6-sun. See the complete process below:

tarif@tarif-desktop:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config java

[sudo] password for tarif:


There are 3 alternatives which provide `java'.


Selection Alternative

-----------------------------------------------

1 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java

2 /usr/bin/gij-4.2

*+ 3 /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java


Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: 1

Using '/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java' to provide 'java'.


I have selected 1 one changed my configuration to sun java 6 :D


So, friends. Let's say goodbye Bill Gates! From the bottom of our heart. It's still sad that some people thinks Windows and Linux are enemies. After reading my blog, they would now understand, that they really are NOT ;D


Take care everybody.

No comments: